Search
Our History

The Technology Alliance of Central New York (TACNY) is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1903. Originally named the Technology Club of Syracuse, the name was changed in 2002 to reflect the broader scope of the organization.

Our primary mission is to promote excellence in technology in Central New York. This is done by bringing together the technical community through our various programs, and chairing the Technical Societies Council of Greater Syracuse, which merged with the Technology Club of Syracuse in 1963. Our members are concerned that Central New York should have a continuing workforce of competent technologists. This concern is emphasized though our programs for students and teachers, and support to area technology programs hosted by other organizations, as well as continued support of the Milton J. Rubinstein Museum of Science and Technology.

On October 3rd, 1903, a small group of men interested in exchanging ideas met in the home of Professor John Edson Sweet, an eminent Syracuse industrialist and educator. This was the birth of the Technology Club of Syracuse, and Professor Sweet was elected the Club's first president. Other outstanding representatives from Syracuse industries and the University became officers of the Club. They included William Kent, Dean of Syracuse University’s L.C. Smith College of Applied Sciences (now known as the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science) and well known as the author of an engineer’s handbook, and Edward N. Trump, the chief engineer of the Solvay Process Company. By 1907 the Technology Club of Syracuse was a well established organization, and on June 5th of that year it was incorporated.

In 1916 a lecture series was established to honor the Tech Club's founder, Professor Sweet, and a permanent memorial fund of $20,000 was placed in trust. The proceeds from this fund have been used to bring outstanding lecturers to Central New York including Herbert Hoover, R. Buckminster Fuller, and Jacques Cousteau.

In January 1946, Tech Club member Simon B. Storer, a representative of the Westinghouse Electric Mfg. Co., presented the Club with 200 acres of land located on Onondaga Hill. Part of this acreage now provides the main entrance to Onondaga Community College, and Mr. Storer is remembered on campus by an auditorium named after him.

In recent years, the Technology Alliance of Central New York has helped to support the following activities:

At this time we can look back with satisfaction on our over 100 years of service to Central New York. Future programs and continuation of existing programs depend upon your active involvement and support. You are invited to become a member of the Technology Alliance of Central New York by taking advantage of our free membership! Join today!



Home  |  About Us  |  Calendar and News  |  Technologists  |  Technical Societies Council  |  My TACNY
TACNY | PO Box 5531 | Syracuse NY 13220
Copyright 2013 by TACNY   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Website Design and Hosting provided by Information and Communication Technologies Group, LLC